Random Thoughts

There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. --Albert Einstein

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Natural Horsemanship

Seeing i'm on holidays at the moment i've been watching a few dvds. I watched 'The horse whisper' this morning, and it really touched me. I read the book ages ago, so i already knew the story line, but i still found myself crying through a lot of the movie. I've had friends come off horses and have very serious injuries, i've even had one die becuause of the fall. I've also known horses that have had to be put down because of injury.

Horses are a strong passion of mine. I really believe in natural horsemanship, not "controlling" the horse and beating it into submission. I've seen Monty Roberts at a demonstration at Brisbane Equitana in 2002, and i was touched. Horses are so big and strong, but when you can let them know it's okay to trust you, the relationship that can be build is amazing.

My own horse was abused somewhere along the line. She was sent to the knackers and i'm the third owner since she was rescued from there. She is beautiful, but you can see the effects of the abuse. She is scared of men, and could possibly be quite dangerous if she is scared enough. Thankfully, she's come so far since i bought her. Some people may think i'm crazy because i care so much about the issue of horse abuse and natural horsemanship but it's something i really do care about. One day, i'd love to be trained using the Monty Roberts methods and be able to train horses and train other people in these methods... One day...

3 Comments:

  • At 8:15 pm, Blogger Peter Ansell said…

    i don't think that you are crazy for wanting to be compassionate to horses, they are amazing animals. maybe you will get the chance one day to care for horses in that way and to train others in a wonderful caring art such as that.

     
  • At 11:02 am, Blogger Sonja said…

    Thanks. I'd really love to do it! I've looked up prices and places that it's available, and the closest is NZ so in a couple of years i'm aiming to try and get there.

     
  • At 11:33 am, Blogger Sonja said…

    Captain civic:
    Thanks heaps! I really hope i do make it, there's just so much i want to do and i know i won't be able to do it all...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home